Monitoring queries to gpg-agent?

Kristian Larsson kll at dev.terastrm.net
Tue Sep 25 23:03:17 CEST 2018

Hello,

I would like to see the queries to gpg-agent that clients are
sending. Like what key are they trying to access and whatever
other information might be available as well.

A little background; I am using gpg-agent together with a Yubikey
to securely store my GPG keys. In addition I've enabled so that
whenever an authentication, sign or decryption request happens I
must physically push the button on the Yubikey. It is very clear
when I do ssh FOO and the Yubikey starts blinking that I need to
push it and I can easily understand what query caused the Yubikey
to start blinking (although I suppose there is a risk of someone
using this opportunity to launch a query just prior and me
thinking it is my ssh query will press the button).

I also have cron jobs that perform things, like running mbsync in
the background to retrieve email and they in turn use GPG to
decrypt the file containing the password. In this case I haven't
interactively initiated the command but instead my Yubikey just
starts blinking and I don't know why (although I can guess). I
would like to be able to see what the current query to gpg-agent
is.

Is there a way I can monitor and display the queries to gpg-agent
so I can see what the current query is actually trying to do?

Kind regards,
   Kristian.

--
Kristian Larsson