Issue with pinentry GUI agent

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Sep 4 18:10:23 CEST 2018

On Mon 2018-09-03 09:58:24 +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> Just to have it mentioned, turned out this was an issue with missing
> keep-display in gpg-agent.conf, without this the Qt4/5 pinentry fail
> (although I've been told it is not an issue in KDE environment).

to be clear, keep-display means that all requests made to the agent that
require interaction with X11 will show up on the original display that
the agent was started with.  This isn't desirable in all cases
(e.g. where an agent is shared across multiple X11 displays)

> gpg-agent without keep-display still seems to send display as argument
> in --display :0 style, but this does not seem to be honored.

i think you're saying that "pinentry-qt --display :124" doesn't honor
the "--display :124" argument, but that doesn't seem to be true to me
with pinentry 1.1.0:

    0 dkg at alice:~$ pinentry-qt --display :124
    qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :124
    Could not connect to any X display.
    1 dkg at alice:~$

or do you mean something else?

   --dkg