a step in the right direction

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jan 16 17:05:03 CET 2018

> while i agree with rjh that destruction of the current SKS-based
> keyserver network (either by technical or legal means) would today be a
> net loss, this statement goes too far.

I welcome the correction, but I stand by my statement.  Many users,
particularly in corporate environments, roll their own packages and rely
on the keyservers to propagate those signing keys worldwide.  I know
I've seen RHEL corporate networks doing this; I _believe_ I've seen
Ubuntu-based corporate networks doing this.  (Back in 2016 I wound up
doing just this task for an RHEL network, while my officemate handled
the Ubuntu machines -- I have no hands-on experience with the Ubuntu
side of things, just recollections of hearing my officemate talk about
them.)

It is correct, though, to say official Debian packages would have
minimal disruption.  Thank you.  :)