GnuPGv2 & 'pinentry' on Linux w/ remote access

Sander Smeenk ssmeenk at freshdot.net
Tue Nov 7 14:42:35 CET 2017

Quoting Ryan Beethe (ryan at splintermail.com):

> I think my setup might be almost a drop-in fix for your gpg-over-ssh
> issue, although you will have to figure out where to set the
> environment variable for your particular window manager.

Thanks for your tips and tricks. It's the less bodgy version of the
"wrapper" i wrote. I've adapted them to my system and it seems this is
actually working for the remote-ssh-on-a-system-running-X issue.

However; i still can't use 'gpg -qd' in vim like so:

| augroup GPGEncrypted
|     au!
|     au BufReadPre,FileReadPre      *.asc,*.gpg set viminfo=
|     au BufReadPre,FileReadPre      *.asc,*.gpg set noswapfile
|     au BufReadPre,FileReadPre      *.asc,*.gpg set bin
|     au BufReadPre,FileReadPre      *.asc,*.gpg let ch_save = &ch|set ch=2
|     au BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.asc,*.gpg '[,']!gpg -qd 2> /dev/null
|     au BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.asc,*.gpg set nobin
|     au BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.asc,*.gpg let &ch = ch_save|unlet ch_save
|     au BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.asc,*.gpg execute ":doautocmd BufReadPost " . expand("%:r")
|     au BufReadPost,FileReadPost    *.asc,*.gpg set ff=unix
|     au BufWritePre,FileWritePre    *.asc,*.gpg '[,']!gpg -ae 2>/dev/null
|     au BufWritePost,FileWritePost  *.asc,*.gpg u
| augroup END

It seems pinentry(-curses) doesn't want to start from within vim.

Do you also have any brilliant ideas there?

Rgds,
Sndr.