Estonian e-residency

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Thu Feb 2 14:42:35 CET 2017

On 02/02/17 12:02, Richard Ulrich wrote:
> I thought about applying for Estonian e-residency for the sole
> reason of adding credibility to my GPG key. My idea would be to sign
> my GPG key with the ID card. This could give people who are not in
> my web of trust a head start.

Which particular people? And a head start at doing what?

AIUI the e-residency signature is not PGP-compatible, so people will
need to verify it using a separate tool. And once I have verified your
e-residency signature, what does it mean to me? At best, it tells me
that you are one of possibly many people known to the Estonian
Government as "Richard Ulrich". Unless I have already dealt with you
elsewhere via your Estonian ID, how does this help me?

What particular problem are you trying to solve? It seems to me that
unless you are going to use your E-identity for some other purpose,
tying your GPG key to it adds little value. You say your sole reason
for applying for e-residency is to add "credibility" to your existing
key. But how is asking the Estonian government to verify your passport
more credible than producing your passport at a keysigning party? Or
better still, showing it to the actual person you want to talk to?

Andrew.