Upgraded gpg from 1.4.18 to 2.1.18: --default-recipient-self no longer works

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Dec 13 11:13:08 CET 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:36, wk at gnupg.org said:

>> (1) The documentation for --default-key says:
>>
>>   Use name as the default key to sign with.
>>
>> But the documentation for --default-recipient-self
>> implies that it is also for encryption, not just signing.
>
> Both commands are basically the same; they just differ in how the
> default key is determined.  So, right the man page is wrong.

I need to correct myself:  I did not notice that you wrote
--default-key; I read --default-recipient.

--default-recipient and --default-recipient-self are used to sepciy an
default encryption key - they don't affect signing.

  --default-key KEY

is used for signing.  The fact that --default-recipient-self uses that
KEY also as default encryption key is the actual purpose of that very
option --default-recipient-self.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner