Smart card

Mike Gerwitz mtg at gnu.org
Sat Apr 8 18:26:18 CEST 2017

On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 10:16:36 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Smartcards are a pain in the ass. They ensure that the private half of
> your key is never on any hard disk or other general storage device but
> instead sits in your wallet, so whenever you need to access it, you need
> to grab your wallet to be able to do so, which takes more effort than
> just firing up GnuPG. If your laptop doesn't have a builtin cardreader,
> you also need to fish the reader from your backpack or wherever, etc.

I use a Nitrokey, which itself is a reader.  I keep it in the small
pocket of my pants (if it has it), and I'll even keep it on the side of
my ankle in my sock if I'm wearing longer socks for work (interesting
idea from a co-worker when it fell out of my pocket).

I find it to be very convenient, and it cannot be stolen without me
realizing, since it's stored in one of two locations that cannot be
accessed without being seen and felt.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer