What is a reliable way to backup/restore my keys and test?

Duane Whitty duane at nofroth.com
Thu Sep 15 16:20:10 CEST 2016

On 16-09-14 05:24 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Thanks for the very thorough walk-through, Robert.
>
> Perhaps GnuPG ought to produce some kind of interchangeable backup
> automatically on its own that it can re-consume, so this kind of
> involved process isn't necessary.
>
> A couple notes below:
>
> On Wed 2016-09-14 15:01:47 -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> The following is the procedure I use on UNIX systems:
>>
>> First, export all public certificates into a public keyring:
>>
>> $ gpg --armor --export > pub.asc
>>
>> Second, export all secret certificates into a secret keyring:
>>
>> $ gpg --armor --export-secret-keys > priv.asc
>
> the above two steps should include the arguments "--export-options
> export-local" just before "--export".

I am unable to find any references in man to export-local in
- --export-options except for export-local-sigs.  Maybe this is an
undocumented parameter to the --export-options option?  What is it
supposed to do?

>> Import your secret certificates:
>>
>> $ gpg --import < priv.asc
>>
>> Import your public certificates:
>>
>> $ gpg --import < pub.asc
>

> The above two steps should include the arguments "--import-options
> import-local" just before "--import".

Same here, can't find the parameter import-local, just import-local-sigs

> hth,
>
> --dkg

Best Regards,
Duane