:-(( smart card no longer works

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Sep 11 14:42:51 CEST 2016

On 10/09/16 20:56, Stephan Beck wrote:
> And, by the way, does the screen output in your previous mail really
> show that a subkey with the same ID as the pubkey (so, a duplicate of
> the pubkey) is being used for decrypting a file encrypted to your
> pubkey? I mean, that wouldn't make sense in terms of public key
> cryptography and is duly canceled by gpg.
> Am I missing something?

It looks fine to me, I think you're getting confused by it referring to
the key in several ways. Here's part of the output for "gpg2 -v -d" for me:

> gpg: public key is 73A33BEE
> gpg: using subkey 73A33BEE instead of primary key DE500B3E
> gpg: using subkey 73A33BEE instead of primary key DE500B3E
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 73A33BEE, created 2009-11-12
>       "Peter Lebbing <peter at digitalbrains.com>"

It first notices the key it is encrypted to is 73A33BEE, which is a
subkey. Then it really wants me to know that it is using this subkey of
the primary DE500B3E :-). Finally it shows the actual subkey it was
encrypted to along with the primary User ID of the key as a whole.

HTH,

Peter.