Trying to install version 2.1.4

Antony Prince antony at blazrsoft.com
Sun May 24 18:14:29 CEST 2015

On 05/24/2015 01:28 AM, Rex Kneisley wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have just done a clean install of Debian 8.0 on an i7-4790K with
> 16 GB RAM. I am trying to install GNUPG 2.1.4 (I have this thing
> about wanting the latest version… call me crazy)
>
> I have done this before in Debian Wheezy. I install all of the
> latest libraries (in order), and the install GnuPg 2.1 The problem
> is that Debian 8.0 (Jessie) comes with GnuPG version 2.0.26
>
> It appears that when I go through the motions of installing 2.1.4,
> it leaves things untouched. after I’m done: #gpg2 —version
> returns: 2.0.26 And then I read that 2.0.26 and 2.1.4 cannot
> co-exist.
>
> OK, so now I am trying to remove 2.0.26
>
> However, when I try to remove it using package manager it wants to
> also remove a whole host of other software.
>
> So I tried using apt-get remove gnupg
>
> I get an ominous warning that the following packages will be
> REMOVED apt apt-listchanges apt-utils gnome gnupg
> python-reporting... etc. etc. This should NOT be done unless you
> know exactly what you are doing (which I don’t) apt gnupg (due to
> apt) 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed , 14 to remove, and 0 not
> upgraded You are about to do something potentially harmful Type:
> Yes, do as I say!
>

> Question: Will all this stuff reinstall itself when I re-install
> GnuPG 2.1.4? Is there any way to do a targeted removal of 2.0.26
> to make room for 2.1.4 without removing all the other things? Is
> there a way to UPGRADE from 2.0.26 to the latest version (2.1.4)?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Rex Kneisley rex.k at me.com <mailto:rex.k at me.com> 818-429-7472 Want
> to keep your emails private? Ask me how.

My first reply was off-list. I apologize. In my case, I just left the
system default gpg installed. Ubuntu comes with gpg 1.4.x and gives
the same warnings when trying to uninstall because it is a dependency
of apt. There's no need to uninstall it. Just modify your system path
to find the new version first. In my case, I altered /etc/environment
so that /usr/local/bin comes before /bin in the PATH. After reading
the other replies though, I'm not sure whether this will cause any
keyring issues. I haven't experienced any in my case, but I haven't
tested it extensively.

- --
Hope that helps,
Antony Prince