OPENPGP URI PROPOSAL

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri May 22 16:54:02 CEST 2015

On Thu 2015-05-21 18:46:52 -0400, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:
> On 2015-05-21 15:21, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> The example you give toward the end of the spec (uri handlers in web
>> browsers) is an important example for arguing why something like this is
>> concretely useful.  Have you tried to implement this?  Can modern web
>> browser handlers work with arbitrary length data?  When i try to trigger
>> a local handler for an unknown schema in iceweasel (firefox) i see this
>> message:
>
> Modern browsers can handle this. Some websites embed base64 uri-encoded images
> of several kb in length and all browsers handle this properly.

Hm, i asked "have you tried to implement this?", but it doesn't sound
like you have.  Maybe it's worth trying to get something working, and
then report back with what you've found?

>> --------------
>>    The address wasn't understood
>>
>>    Iceweasel doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (openpgp) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.
>>
>>     You might need to install other software to open this address.
>> --------------
>>
>> with no option to choose an external handler or anything.
>
> The same happens with several other quite standard protocols. Even some of
> those listed on rfc3986. This is a firefox issue, IMHO.

What is the issue, exactly?  Have you or someone else reported it to
firefox?  How should firefox behave?

> This is configured via about:preferences#applications, since firefox does not
> respect OS settings in this aspect at all.

sure, but about:preferences#applications doesn't show me openpgp: at
all, and i see no way to add such a handler.

Regards,

     --dkg