German ct magazine postulates death of pgp encryption

Ralph Seichter gnupg-ml at seichter.de
Sat Feb 28 14:06:08 CET 2015

It looks like we agree on most aspects, but to get back to the original
question of this thread: From what I have seen since the nineties (I do
remember donating money for Philip Zimmermann), PGP is great for users
with a solid foundation in cryptography, but it is too complicated for
avarage users -- no disrespect intended. For more than 20 years, PGP has
not made critical mass, and in these years computers and related
services have become ever more accessible to average users who don't
know about cryptography. In its current form, PGP can be used to improve
security in many areas and I am very grateful for the work Werner and
others put into it, but PGP does not work for mass e-mail protection, as
much as I would prefer matters to be different.

-Ralph