moving up from 2.0.26 to 2.1.1

Stephan Beck stebe at mailbox.org
Thu Feb 12 22:46:53 CET 2015

Hi, Philip,

Am 11.02.2015 um 22:35 schrieb Philip Jackson:
> On 11/02/15 21:16, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> On Wed 2015-02-11 14:02:49 -0500, Philip Jackson wrote:
>>> On 11/02/15 14:59, Brian Minton wrote:

[snip]

> When I try your way from the command line, I get :
>
> $ apt-cache policy gnupg2
> gnupg2:
>   Installed: 2.0.22-3ubuntu1.1
>   Candidate: 2.0.22-3ubuntu1.1
>   Version table:
>      2.1.1-1 0
>           1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main amd64 Packages
>  *** 2.0.22-3ubuntu1.1 0
>         500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64
Packages
>         500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.0.22-3ubuntu1 0
>         500 http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
>
> I'm not sure what this is telling me but I think it is indicating :
>
> 1.	that 2.1.1 is available in experimental/main Packages.
> 2.	that I have 2.0.22 installed
> 3.	that latest available for my distro (candidate) is 2.0.22
>
> Although I did, last summer, install 2.0.22 using the distro's software centre,
> I subsequently used the same software centre to remove it before building 2.0.26
> on my own.  So I don't know why the above indicates that 2.0.22 is installed.

In synaptic: have you set the "always prefer the latest version" option under
Synaptic > Settings > Preferences > Distribution (tab)? If not, at least in
theory it might explain why your synaptic does not show you the latest version.

Sorry, if the wording is not 100% correct. I have the German version installed,
and I'm retranslating it into English.

> If I do gpg2 --version, it comes back clearly with 2.0.26. and enigmail clearly
> indicates that it has found the gpg2 that I built.
>
> So, moving on, if I do :
>
>  apt-get -t experimental install gnupg2
>
> will I get 2.1.1 installed together with its dependencies ?
>
> And returning to my original questions, since it is written that 2.0* and 2.1
> cannot co-exist, I suppose that I shall have to remove manually everything
> connected with my 2.0.26 ?

If you click on "remove completely" in the main window, right-clicking on the
gnupg program list item, all modules should be removed. I think this option is
the equivalent to the --purge command option in apt.

Best regards

Stephan Beck