Restoring GnuPG

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Oct 19 13:18:29 CEST 2014

On 19/10/14 11:48, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> By important I mean
> if you only had your secret key could get back to your original setup
> ignoring the imported public keys.

Yes; also ignoring all assigned ownertrust values.

Public key and revocation certificate can be recreated; the latter is
usually only used precisely when you have lost access to the secret key.

I'm fairly sure even certifications from other users are included in the
private key, as long as you don't specify options scrubbing them from
the key on export.

> 2. "gpg --import secret.key" I suppose this is the command I have to
> use to import the secret key on a new system.

Additionally, you'll most likely want to assign ultimate ownertrust to
the key; this is automatically done when using --gen-key, but not on
importing a secret key.

$ gpg2 --edit-key YOURKEYID trust

HTH,

Peter.