Pros and cons of PGP/MIME for outgoing e-mail?

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 20:45:33 CET 2014

On 24 November 2014 12:44:31 GMT+00:00, Bjarni Runar Einarsson <bre at pagekite.net> wrote:
>> Wrap in a message/rfc822 part.
>
>If PGP/MIME had proposed this from the start, then I wouldn't be able
>make cheap shots about Subject lines and indeed, living with the other
>problems would be far more palatable.
>
>But PGP/MIME missed that boat, and the user experience of a
>message/rfc822 part inside a multipart encrypted wrapper is really not
>acceptable in today's clients.

I currently use Thunderbird and Mutt, both of which can open "emails within emails" as MIME parts, but I'm fairly certain Outlook from Office 2002 coped with them too. Granted, it's still an extra step with those MUAs, but all they need to do is handle MIME, which is a container just as much as Zip is. Why introduce Zip as yet another container, and yet another thing for diverse MUAs to handle instead of using one that many MTAs already support?

Simon