The Facts:

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Sat Nov 15 15:30:10 CET 2014

On 15/11/14 12:36, Johannes Zarl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 15 November 2014 11:52:02 david at gbenet.com wrote:
>> Laptop-1 and laptop-2 are a mirror image of each. They contain the same
>> software. I copied programmes like Thunderbird Firefox from laptop-1 to
>> laptop-2 without any problems.
>
> It seems like the mirroring of laptop-1 to laptop-2 did not actually work as
> expected:
>
>> (1) david at laptop-1:~$ gpg
>> gpg: directory `/home/david/.gnupg' created
>> gpg: new configuration file `/home/david/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
>> gpg: WARNING: options in `/home/david/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active
>> during this run gpg: keyring `/home/david/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
>> gpg: keyring `/home/david/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
>> gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...
>
> The above command output tells you that no .gnupg folder exists in your home
> directory and that a new one is created. As some people pointed out before,
> you have to copy the .gnupg folder from your laptop-1 to your laptop-2.
>
> Maybe you forgot to restore your home directory when you migrated from
> laptop-1 to laptop-2?
>
> Cheers,
>   Johannes

The nature of Linux is that your "home directory" is automatically created so one can hardly
forget to create it. As stated laptop-1 has a 32 bit O/S and laptop-2 as a 64 bit O/S this
means installing an 64 bit Linux Operating System and copying ALL programmes that are on the
32 bit Linux Operating System. They have the same programmes. This means that are a "mirror"
of each - except that one is 32 bit and one 64 bit. No migration of an Linux operating
system took place - it would be meaningless to put a 32 bit O/S on a laptop with more than 4
MB RAM as it would not recognise the additional memory.

David

--
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No