signatures for other people's emails

Faramir faramir.cl at gmail.com
Sat May 3 03:10:10 CEST 2014

El 16-04-2014 13:37, Hauke Laging escribió:
> Am Mi 16.04.2014, 18:21:16 schrieb Peter Lebbing:
>> The usual way it works here would be, in your example, for the
>> dean to send the recipients a message with "Please consider the
>> request in the attached message", and your message would be
>> attached. That way, it is the dean who requests something, and
>> the PhD would be inclined to read it.
>
> That is indeed possible but has disadvantages:
>
> a) It does not work with more than one supporter.

     You only need 1, but he must be well known.

> b) The supporter becomes more involved in the communication than he
>  wants to: He appears as the sender and may receive answers (even
> bounces and autoresponders).

    Well, then the sender must be somebody that usually sends
important messages to students. One more message won't trouble him.

> c) The real sender does not have the mail in his sent mail archive
> thus breaking the usual communication structure. In case of doubt
> he does not even know whether the mail has already been sent by the
> supporter.

   Mmmm... you would have the message sent to the supporter, and if he
forwards it with copy to you, maybe... or maybe not, not sure about
what is the problem.

> d) The same for the recipients: They cannot simply search for a
> mail from the real sender.

  But the message should include your email address... again, I don't
get what is the problem.

> e) The supporter must handle the recipients in that case. That may
> be a complicated procedure; he may not even have all the addresses
> yet.

  Well, then he should involve the person that has the addresses,
probably the person that uses to send important messages to students.

   Remember, no matter how many signatures the message has, if it
doesn't come from a know source, they may consider it as spam and
delete it without even opening it. You need the sender to be well know
and respected.

   Yes, it would be nice to have a tool that allows you to attack a
signal from other people to make the message more appealing, but then
the email clients would have to support it, and now more and more
people moves to webmail, that is becoming harder.

   Best Regards