symmetric email encryption

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jul 19 21:40:11 CEST 2014

On Saturday 19 July 2014 03:46:56 Hauke Laging wrote:
> I guess this discussion does not go well because of a misunderstanding
> or wrong expectations.
>

> You and Ingo are talking about "real crypto" issues.

Actually, concerning your proposal, I'm more talking about usability. To
encrypt a message using your proposal the sender needs to
* write the message,
* tell his mail client that he wants to encrypt the message,
* come up with and enter the password that should be used for encrypting
the message, (-> minor inconvenience)
* tell the recipient the password, (-> major inconvenience)
* and, finally, send the message.

That's three more steps than for sending an unencrypted message. And for
one of those steps a completely different communication channel needs to
be used. This is so inconvenient that I cannot see this helping our
cause.

Regards,
Ingo