gpg for anonymous users - Alternative to the web of trust?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Mar 28 11:56:12 CET 2013

On 27/03/13 22:15, Leo Gaspard wrote:
> until a lot of people verify and sign your public key.

People might be more inclined to sign the key when it says something like

adrelanos (Whonix signing key) <adrelanos at riseup dot net>

rather than without the comment.

That way, their signature might mean: Yes, this is that key that signs that
Linux distribution called Whonix. The UID conveys a bit more information about
which adrelanos specifically we're talking here.

That said, the whole problem with establishing a pseudonym and even getting
signatures on such a key is difficult. With proper, real names, and most
importantly people you can meet face to face, it's reasonably established how it
works. But with a pseudonym, it's completely different.

So I'm just wildly spouting random suggestions actually. It's not really well
thought through, but I wanted to point out this possibility.

HTH,

Peter.