Fwd: (No Subject)

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 22:33:44 CET 2013

Re: Obtain a signature ID with only a sig file?

Thanks.  Based on that this also worked:
wget http://<detached sig>.gpg --output-document=- | gpg --verify -
/dev/null

I'm writing a kickstart script for Ubuntu and needed a way to test a
repository connection before using apt.  The problem with apt is that it
doesn't have a way to test for connectivity with a specific repository.  I
wanted to test for connectivity of a newly added repo by downloading the
smallest verifiable file available (because of ISP data transfer caps)  and
the Release.gpg is best target I've found.  Even better is being able to
get a verifiable key ID without having to make a temporary file.  I'm not
worried about verifying the Release list since apt will download that and
it's own copy of the sig for verification.  I just wanted to catch 404
error pages and the like without having apt download the package lists of
every repo (many MB each).