Unable to access Crypto Stick with gpg2

Jan Ignatius email at janignatius.fi
Sun Feb 17 15:46:13 CET 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:42:42 +0200
Jan Ignatius <email at janignatius.fi> wrote:

> > > 1878 -                                        /usr/sbin/pcscd
> >
> > pcscd will have GUID pcscd, so it's not a supplementary group. With
> > $ ps -e -o pid,egroup,supgrp,args
> >
> > You'll most likely notice "pcscd" in the second column for that
> > daemon.
>
> If I run "scdaemon --daemon", then ps -e -o pid,egroup,supgrp,args, I
> get:
>
> 4415 jan      adm,cdrom,sudo,dip,plugdev,lpadmin,samba scdaemon
> --daemon 1911 root
> -                                        /usr/sbin/pcscd
>
> So no "pcscd" for the scdaemon.
>
> While searching for more information, I stumbled on this discussion
> thread from 2011:
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2011-January/025911.html
>
> That seemed propose a patch that would make scdaemon behave better
> when a smart card is removed from the system (and not spam the syslog
> with endless errors and prevent further access to the card). Did this
> ever make it to a release of gnupg?
>
> Also, is there a known release of gpg2 that people use with OpenPGP
> cards that I could fall back to? Or a known Linux
> distribution+gnupg version combo I could try?

I'm happy to report that I finally got a working setup by doing the
following:
- removed gpg2, gpgme, gpa, kleopatra
- added "no-use-agent" to gpg.conf
- unchecked "Use GPG-agent to manage passwords" in Claws Mail (3.8.1)
- copied the udev rules from privacyfoundation.de to /dev/udev/rules.d
- removed /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop

Now I have gpg version 1.4.11 that works with the cryptostick without
sudo and provides encryption services to Claws Mail automatically.

Thank you again for everyone that helped me with this.

--
Jan <email at janignatius.fi>
PGP Key: https://janignatius.fi/pgp