Migrating subkeys

Niels Laukens niels at dest-unreach.be
Fri Feb 15 19:34:24 CET 2013

Hi,

I've found this guide:
http://atom.smasher.org/gpg/gpg-migrate.txt

but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I know that migrating subkeys is a
bit of hocus-pocus, but is it still supposed to work? I get stuck at
trying to generate new (correct) binding signatures for the subkeys. I
don't get any errors, but nothing changes after I change the expire date
for the key.

Also, I see an empty Usage: field (where I expected to see "E" to
indicate it's an encryption key).

Version info:
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.12
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Home: /Users/niels/temp/gpg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,
        CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

Niels

PS: the reason why I'm trying this is: I'm migrating master key, but if
I keep my current subkeys (signature mostly), I can start signing right
away, and people with my old key (+subkeys) will still see it as a valid
signature. But I'm not very sure that this won't break things when GPG
sees two master keys with the same subkey.