Libgcrypt 1.6.0 released and gunpg 2.x

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Dec 17 10:02:16 CET 2013

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 05:23, shmick at riseup.net said:

> use the new 1.6.0, do i need to uninstall gnupg & libcrypt and then
> compile both again together, and re-install ?

1.6.0 has a new SO number so there are no runtime conflicts.  However,
to avoid building problems, better de-install or overwrite the 1.5.3
development files (static library (if build), header files, and
libgcrypt-config).

If you installed 1.5.3 yourself, simply installing 1.6.0 should do
everything you need.  I am not 100% sure that building gnupg 2.0 will
work without problems - I only tested the latest 2.0 GIT version.

> gnupg 2.x would not work with the new libgcrypt if i just install it
> alone, would it ? (im sure i have to do it all again...)

No you need to build gnupg again.  Libgcrypt has a different ABI and
thus a different SO number (20 on common Linux systems).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner