Holiday giving (crowd-funding campaign?)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Dec 8 11:54:01 CET 2013

On Sat,  7 Dec 2013 07:31, phobos at panopticism.net said:

> Details were scarce, however. This sounds like perfect timing; perhaps
> either Sam or Werner can provide us with an update on the campaign?

Sam is preparing the campaign and twittering on
https://twitter.com/gnupg .  This campaign will be about a better
website and easier accessible information on GnuPG.  Sam already has
some sketches for the new website for example
https://twitter.com/gnupg/status/408611650887905280

GnuPG has for too long been a tool like a sendmail/exim/postfix but
deserves more user attention.  This is what we want to change.

In the course of the preparation, Sam convinced be that we need Twitter
and even web site statistics.  I have done the latter only the first two
years of running GnuPG but stopped that for privacy reasons.  Now we
installed Piwik and people with JS enabled are tracked by us. Of course
this is pseudo-anonymized and we won't hand out the raw data to anyone
outside of g10 code.  Piwik gives some interesting insights, for example
most direct visits to gpg4win.org come from gnupg.org.  Aside from the
usual Google triggered visits, lifehacker.com and philzimmermann.com are
top listed referrers for gnupg.org.  gnupg.org has 2000 to 3000 visits a
day, gpg4win.org 1500 to 2500.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner