Why trust any software?

kardan kardan at riseup.net
Wed Aug 7 21:37:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

thanks for your thoughts and sorry for this copy/paste nightmare. I
tried to fit in my thoughts, but if you think this topic is on the wrong
list, don't hesitate to slap me into the right direction, please.

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:35:24 -0400
Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net> wrote:

> If somehow you trust the Linux kernel you are using, that is already a
> big assumption.
>
> That would assure you that the Kernel source was used to compile the
> kernel. And if all was properly signed, and you have somehow obtained
> the fingerprint of the signing key in some reliable way, that would
> give high assurance.
>
> But how about the compiler that was used. It could have been sabotaged
> too, to insert a back door into any code it compiled, or only code for
> files with names that exist in the compiler and a kernel, perhaps.
>
> So not only need you trust the people who examined the source code for
> the kernel, you need to trust the people who support the kernel to
> have done the same thing for the compiler they use. And the compiler
> they used for compiling that compiler.
>
> To really trust (or not trust), you have to take all that C-code for
> the first compiler and compile it by hand to binary (not assembly
> level). Then use that to make the assembler that has been similarly
> verified, then the C compiler you really want to use, and so on.

I can't do that myself yet, but I can roughly imagine a scripted way for
storing the signatures on some pool which could be checked in a
scripted way from command line or even a "trusted" gui in the future. I
even could live with a mechanism of cenralized archive for this like
the debian's packaging system.

> Do you use a web browser on the internet? If yes, then somone can
> target you with an exploit.

So looking a bit in the future I would say, if it is worth and really
would help to authenticate the trust of software, we [whoever sees
the need for it] could establish such an infrastructure in the next
years.

> Heh, but then Gentoo Linux users will look at you strangely if you say
> that you *don't* compile parts of your system. :-)
Surely they do because I don't compile all of system.

> > Do you know of signing mechanisms for developers to
> >  A have special keys for signing code changes
> >  B sign each others keys to approve they are knowledged enough to
> >  understand and check the code reliably.
> >  C sign a piece of software/patch/commit with it
>
> I don't see how this is different from a community building trust
> relationships for email.
I think it could set up on top of the debian web of trust or any
other developers's trust chain.
Currently for example debian maintainers undergo some social tests to
become DD once which does not mean that all their future  packages are
done well enough, to not allow any exploits (not talking about any
intended security holes).

< http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2013/08/msg00035.html
> For any who missed the scandal or need cribnotes:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/282038/
> http://www.links.org/?p=327
> http://www.links.org/?p=328

I had not time to go through all of this, but maybe some of you still
remember and can add some final thoughts.

Package checks and bug tracking are merely done on a trial and error
base. Although I know the security team takes big efforts to find such
vulnerabilites and to fix them in short time. (Which I am extremely
grateful for).
However, this has be shown to be insufficient and I wonder how a
structured process could look like to check packages before they wander
into a distro.

> I think a basic first step would be to disallow binary uploads, as
> ubuntu does.
Would this really help?

< http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2013/08/msg00027.html

< https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83743.0

< http://gitian.org/howto.html
> To bootstrap a clean RubyGems installation, run:
>
> % curl https://gitian.org/boot-gems | sh
>
> This will:
>
> Install RubyGems to ~/.gem
> Create ~/.profile-gem to be included in your shell startup script
> Install the Gitian gem
> The HighSecurity gem install policy will be activated, meaning that
> all gems must be signed with a trusted certificate. If you have to
> install a gem from another repository, you can turn off security
> temporarily with gem gitian --undo and turn it back on with gem
> gitian. Alternatively, you can download a gem and install it with gem
> install -P LowSecurity name.gem.
>
> USE WITH AN EXISTING RUBYGEMS INSTALLATION
> This is somewhat less secure, since it relies on your existing gem
> source (e.g. gemcutter) for obtaining the Gitian gem.
>
> % gem install gitian
> % gem gitian
>
> This will display:
>
> Please verify fingerprint for <info.deb at nginz.org> is
>  A9:24:34:B6:63:16:80:6A:06:9B:30:29:D0:EA:9C:0D:3D:86:A9:32

$ gem install gitian
Fetching: gitian-0.0.3.gem (100%)

           Thanks for installing Gitian! You can now run:

    gem gitian        use Gitian.org or another distribution as your
    main gem source

Successfully installed gitian-0.0.3
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for gitian-0.0.3...
Installing RDoc documentation for gitian-0.0.3...

$  gem gitian
Please verify fingerprint for <info.deb at nginz.org> is
 A9:24:34:B6:63:16:80:6A:06:9B:30:29:D0:EA:9C:0D:3D:86:A9:32
High security policy enabled.  You will get an 'unsigned gem' error if
you try to install a gem from a normal, non-signing gem repository.
Use 'gem gitian --undo' if you want to install an unsigned gem. Sources
in ~/.gemrc:
- https://gitian.org/rubygems/latest/
Gem defaults: --trust-policy HighSecurity

So from now in theory I can trust that all gems installed in the future
are signed with a trusted certificate. Unfortunately the files on
https://gitian.org/rubygems/ are last touched in 2009 (same for
http://github.com/devrandom/gitian-tools ).

The gitian-builder for builds in a consolidated VM looks more current:
https://github.com/devrandom/gitian-builder
"This package can do a deterministic build of a package inside a VM"

So I have no conclusion but I would like to keep the discussion running
to step towards what seems impossible for now.

--
Kardan <kardan at riseup.net>
Encrypt your email: http://gnupg.org/documentation