Some people say longer keys are silly. I think they should be supported by gpg.

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Tue May 22 14:34:20 CEST 2012

On 22/05/12 09:58, tim.kachao at gmail.com wrote:
> I think it should be okay to dredge up this topic ever couple years.  From
> what I am reading, links below,  I do not feel comfortable with the key
> length and algorithmic security offered by GPG's defaults.
>
> I have not been able to figure out how to get keylengths greater than 3072
> for DSA/elgmal or >4094 rsa, so I conclude that generating them is
> unsupported by GPG although GPG can use them.  I have seen many people
> saying that these types of key lengths are way more than anyone could
> reasonably need, but I am skeptical.
>
> I am involved in a local Occupy (bet you thought occupy was kaput eh?  well
> as it were known it is but that's another story) and frankly we aren't
> just up against one intelligence agency, but all intel agencies put
> together.  An entire global class of people.  You can argue that they may
> be uninterested in me, however I don't buy that argument at all because
> they have spent (possibly a lot) more than a thousand dollars at least on
> me personally at this point I am sure in policing costs to try to
> survielle and intimidate me, after you divide down.
>
>  The eviction alone at my occupy cost (probably greatly) in excess of
> $16,000 to arrest 8 people, and involved almost 200 cops for 4 hours.
> There are also estimates made that in the US 1 in 6 "protestors" is
> actually a government agent of one sort or another, dept of defense,
> homeland security, fbi what have you.  And that exludes any thugs the
> bankers put in the crowd as privately hired types.
>
> Secondly I want my communications to remain unread into the relatively
> distant future.  Given the sort of crap the 1% do wrt murdering and
> maiming vast quantites of people for a couple extra bucks I would not be
> the least bit surprised if 20 years from now they "dissapeared" me
> because I passed our some pamphlets that said "end class war now".
>
>  An enemy is an enemy, and enemies must be smooshed, right?  Why take risks
> like letting an innocent person live if they might concievable scratch
> your gravy train at some point in the future? Abductions and bullets
> aren't that expensive once you got everything all set up, it's a good
> investement.
>

> I'm 23 now and I take various modest precautions to ensure that I have the
> best chance I can to remain in good health when I am 43. Or 63.  A couple
> hundred extra milliseconds of decryption/encryption time per message for
> a key longer than 3072 or 4092 sounds like a good choice frankly.  Is
> that not what we are looking at?
>
> And yes I recognize that it would be a lot easier for them to plant spyware
> on my computers than break the keys, however they can't plant spyware on
> everone's computer. without people noticing  They do slurp up and
> probably store indefinitely all text -and many other- communications on
> the internet (carnivore etc.).  In the future, data they don't have they
> can't use.  There is always a substantial probability that they will not
> [...]
Some say that all the power of the universe - and all the time its been in existence will
not crack a 2048 bit key with a secure passphrase. So by the time the universe is well and
truly over and some poor sod of a government agent is alive and well he will not have
cracked yer e-mails or indeed any encrypted data. Can you imagine that power from a
computer? No. The mind boggles at the energy it would consume - a million million million ad
infinitum suns.

But they "key" to all this is them holding your private key - it would be quicker and a lot
simpler to crush your balls with a pair of pliers - you will give up your most treasured
possession - your passphrase. This is the meaning of brute force attacks on your key.

The strength of your passphrase is critical alpha numerics take the whole universe to crack
where as a phrase like:

"marymary&%/*had*)/+a:+=little$£"KL$Donkey#*hadxxxabad%$*JHGbadIUNG6**leg^)andalways@#][a\|little-0UHKTwalkedUKL:@?^wonkey

is a good key it will last you forever - if you can stand having your balls crushed. So the
best form of security would be to invest in a sturdy steel codpiece and a long passphrase.

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html - http://gbenet.com