[META] please start To: with gnupg-users at gnupg.org, i.e.: To: gnupg-users at gnupg.org

John Clizbe John at enigmail.net
Tue Jan 31 00:09:34 CET 2012

Jerry wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 02:23:04 +0000
> MFPA articulated:
>
>> That is an unfortunate consequence of signing my message with GnuPG;
>> all lines lose trailing spaces and any line beginning with a dash gets
>> prefixed with a dash and a space.
>
> That is because you are using "inline" rather than "mime" for signing.
> The "inline"method has been for the most part deprecated. You might
> want to give serious thought to switching your signing method.

I always get a chuckle every time I read someone writing that inline signing is
somehow "deprecated." Strangely enough, the only place I can find the
origination of such an idea is in the PGP/MIME RFC 3156 itself which strikes me
as somewhat self-serving. Deprecation is not mentioned in the OpenPGP standard
RFC 4880.

I use PGP/MIME when I know a mailing list supports it and inline when I know it
doesn't. I use PGP/MIME if I know the recipient's MUA supports it, inline otherwise.

On the Netiquette part of this thread, I too set a Reply-To header that seems at
least one person regularly ignores. Please don't CC me on list replies. One copy
is enough.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John ( a ) Enigmail DAWT net
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or

A:"An odd melody / island voices on the winds / surplus of vowels"