Keyserver spam experiment

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Jan 25 11:42:36 CET 2012

Hello list,

The topic of keyserver spam came up again. This seemed like a good moment to
mention the results of a little experiment.

On March the 18th of 2011, a little under a year ago, I created a bogus OpenPGP
key and uploaded it to the keyserver. The UID of the key has an e-mail address
that is 42 random letters and numbers @digitalbrains.com. I wanted to see how
much spam it would attract.

Obviously, I could not tell anyone, because someone might disclose the address
to spammers for his or her own reasons. The experiment is now, by this mail,
tainted :).

I have received exactly one(!) spam mail. The headers will follow later. That's
only one spam mail in almost a year.

I chose 42 random letters and numbers to not get caught by an e-mail address
generator that generates likely e-mail addresses to spam. I only wanted it to
get picked up by a keyserver harvester. Now somebody might say: that harvester
might filter out a weird e-mail address with the local part a string of 42
letters. I don't think so; sending spam is dirt cheap, why filter when you might
miss a target for your spam?

Obviously I did not filter out spam for this address. But I forgot to turn off
two things:
 - If the SMTP envelope has a FROM address @digitalbrains.com that does not
exist (anymore), the mail is denied.
 - On Jun 16th, I started rejecting mails that had 4 or more recipients in the
SMTP envelope that did not exist (anymore).

Oh, and I also have no direct control over the backup mail relays for my domain;
they filter out spam as well. And I sometimes see spam coming in through a
backup mail relay while the primary mail server is online, so some spammers use
backup relays even when the main host is not down.

I think I addressed the most important things. So here come the headers of the
spam message I received on Jul 13th last year. I removed the e-mail address so
the experiment can keep running, albeit slightly tainted. Please don't mention
the address on the mailing list :).

------------8<--------------------cut here---------------------->8--------------
	US_DOLLARS_3 autolearn=spam version=3.3.1
	*  0.0 FSL_XM_419 Old OE version in X-Mailer only seen in 419 spam
	*  2.4 NSL_RCVD_FROM_USER Received from User
	*  0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail provider
	*      (bexleylotto03[at]yahoo.co.jp)
	*  0.7 SPF_SOFTFAIL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)
	*  1.5 SUBJ_ALL_CAPS Subject is all capitals
	*  3.2 DATE_IN_FUTURE_12_24 Date: is 12 to 24 hours after Received: date
	*  0.1 FREEMAIL_ENVFROM_END_DIGIT Envelope-from freemail username ends in
	*      digit (bexleylotto03[at]yahoo.co.jp)
	*  0.0 LOTTO_AGENT BODY: Claims Agent
	*  1.8 US_DOLLARS_3 BODY: Mentions millions of $ ($NN,NNN,NNN.NN)
	*  0.8 BAYES_50 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
	*      [score: 0.5001]
	*  0.3 FSL_UA FSL_UA
	*  0.5 MISSING_MID Missing Message-Id: header
	*  0.0 LOTS_OF_MONEY Huge... sums of money
	*  1.5 FROM_MISSP_MSFT From misspaced + supposed Microsoft tool
	*  3.6 HK_LOTTO HK_LOTTO
	*  2.0 FSL_NEW_HELO_USER FSL_NEW_HELO_USER
	*  1.7 FROM_MISSP_USER From misspaced, from "User"
	*  1.4 FROM_MISSPACED From: missing whitespace
	*  1.5 MONEY_FROM_MISSP Lots of money and misspaced From
	*  2.4 FREEMAIL_REPLYTO Reply-To/From or Reply-To/body contain different
	*      freemails
	*  0.6 FROM_MISSP_REPLYTO From misspaced, has Reply-To
	*  2.1 TO_NO_BRKTS_FROM_MSSP Multiple formatting errors
	*  3.2 FROM_MISSP_EH_MATCH From misspaced, matches envelope
	*  1.4 MONEY_LOTTERY Lots of money from a lottery
	*  3.3 FM_LOTTO_YOU_WON Talks about lotto and you won!
	*  0.0 FROM_MISSP_URI From misspaced, has URI
	*  1.2 TO_NO_BRKTS_MSFT To: misformatted and supposed Microsoft tool
	*  0.0 ADVANCE_FEE_4_NEW Appears to be advance fee fraud (Nigerian 419)
	*  0.6 ADVANCE_FEE_5_NEW Appears to be advance fee fraud (Nigerian 419)
	*  1.9 FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK Forged mail pretending to be from MS Outlook
	*  0.0 ADVANCE_FEE_3_NEW Appears to be advance fee fraud (Nigerian 419)
	*  0.0 ADVANCE_FEE_4_NEW_MONEY Advance Fee fraud and lots of money
	*  0.0 ADVANCE_FEE_5_NEW_MONEY Advance Fee fraud and lots of money
	*  0.4 ADVANCE_FEE_3_NEW_MONEY Advance Fee fraud and lots of money
	*  1.5 ADVANCE_FEE_2_NEW_MONEY Advance Fee fraud and lots of money
	*  0.0 T_TO_NO_BRKTS_FREEMAIL To: misformatted and free email service
	*  0.0 MONEY_FRAUD_5 Lots of money and many fraud phrases
	*  0.2 FROM_MISSP_FREEMAIL From misspaced + freemail provider
	*  0.9 MONEY_FRAUD_3 Lots of money and several fraud phrases