Problems loading an authentication key from a USB Crypto-Stick

Todd A. Jacobs codegnome.consulting+gnupg.org at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:43:38 CET 2012

I'm using GnuPG 1.4.11 on Ubuntu 11.10, and have a Crypto-Stick v1.2 with
an authentication key. My desktop is LXDE, but I'm starting gpg-agent using
keychain from my ~/.bashrc. My configuration files look like this:

# ~/.bashrc
eval `keychain --eval --agents gpg,ssh id_rsa BCB6C8D4`

# ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-curses
enable-ssh-support

However, while the ssh key gets loaded properly into the agent, I am
prompted for the password for the GPG key every time I start a new
shell--the agent isn't storing the key. In addition, "ssh-add -L" isn't
showing the GPG authentication key as being loaded. So, the pinentry dialog
thinks I've unlocked the key, but gpg-agent and ssh-agent aren't happy.

The agent itself seems to be running:

$ gpg-connect-agent 'GETINFO pid' /bye
D 2579
OK

and I can see the card status just fine with the "gpg --card-status"
command.

So, what could be going wrong here?