windows binary for gnupg 1.4.11 // compilation instructions posted

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Thu Sep 22 16:17:19 CEST 2011

>Message: 9
>Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:44:26 -0500
>From: John Clizbe <John at enigmail.net>
>To: gnupg-users at gnupg.org
>Subject: Re: windows binary for gnupg 1.4.11 // compilation
>	instructions posted
>
>vedaal at nym.hush.com wrote:
>> BTW,
>> There is a unique advantage to running gnupg from cygwin on
>> windows, as it's the only way to make use of unix-like commands,
>> (cat, grep, printf, etc.) and pipe them to and from gnupg.
>
>ONLY? How much effort did you expend looking?
>
>The MinGW compiler folks provide a little environment called MSYS,

>for Minimal
>System. It's not meant to be a full-on environment like Cygwin,
>even though it's
>a fork of an earlier Cygwin, but provides bash and enough tools to

>run most
>configure scripts and do a reasonable amount of work.  BTW, it's
>faster than
>Cygwin because it's emulating less.
>IIRC, Mozilla based their Windows build environment on MSYS.
>
>In addition, there is Microsoft's Services for Unix which is the
>old Interix
>product

>Another alternative is UWIN, from AT&T's David Korn and Glenn
>Fowler.
>(Umm, yeah /THAT/ Dave Korn.) One used to be able to point cc to
>either the
>MinGW gcc or to MS' CL. I haven't used it in a while.

>That's just from memory.

-----

Thanks,
I knew about the MSYS method, but not about the others,
but my point was about running gnupg from a flash drive.

I was under the impression that there is no portable way to do that
on a flashdrive that doesn't have these systems installed on the
host computer,
(Is there?? If anyone knows of a way to do it, please post. Thanks.
The only way I could think of is to boot to ubuntu and run gnupg
from there on the flash drive).

So,
even though gnupg compiled from cygwin can't be put on a flashdrive
to run from windows, it does have the advantage of the unix-like
commands.

Sorry, about the 'ONLY' ...

vedaal