Decrypting WikiLeaks insurance file

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Thu Sep 1 20:04:45 CEST 2011

On 2/09/11 2:24 AM, Johan Wevers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I read that the password for the insurance.aes256 file WikiLeaks
> distributed some time agoo has been revealed to be

It's not the insurance.aes256 file which the password has been
revealed for, it's an unredacted version of the Cablegate data.  The
file name for that, at least the one currently in the wild, is called
z.gpg.  It uses symmetric GPG encryption and decrypts to z.7z (368Mb).
When extracted with 7z/p7zip it expands to cables.csv (1.73Gb).

The password or passphrase for insurance.aes256 has not yet been
revealed, but that file is believed to have been encrypted with either
TrueCrypt or OpenSSL, probably the latter.

Regards,
Ben