keys.gnupg.net

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Nov 21 05:14:37 CET 2011

On 11/18/2011 10:07 PM, John A. Wallace wrote:
> Hello.  In my web browser I am looking at the url of keys.gnupg.net,

keys.gnupg.net is a DNS round-robin which points to a number of OpenPGP
keyservers, each of which syncs with each other.

there are other DNS round-robin pools as well (one well-known one is
pool.sks-keyservers.net).

zimmermann.mayfirst.org (a.k.a. keys.mayfirst.org) happens to be a
member of multiple pools.  (i'm one of the administrators of this machine)

If you visit a keys.gnupg.net again, you might very well end up at a
different keyserver; that's the nature of DNS round-robin.

As for the hkps -- it's significantly more complicated to do a dns
round-robin between TLS-secured hosts in different administrative zones.
 So instructions for the use of hkps at the moment tend to encourage the
use of a single hostname (rather than a pool).

hth,

	--dkg