gpg command output language???

Paul Richard Ramer free10pro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 09:47:36 CET 2011

On 01/15/2011 11:34 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> It beats me why a program like gpg should detect the keyboard type and
> change its language like this, language setting should be a volontary
> change by the user always! Just think how good it would be for an
> English speaking user to try and use a PC that happened to be set for
> say a Slovenian keyboard. Not possible to understand the output,
> right?
>
> So how can I change gpg such that it sends its responses in English
> only? I have checked gpg.conf, but there is no language setting there.

The GPG man page gives the following information:

  Operation is further controlled by a few environment variables:
  [...]

  LANGUAGE
         Apart from its use by GNU, it is used in the W32 version to
         override the language selection done through the Registry. If
         used and set to a valid and available language name (langid),
         the file with the translation is loaded from
         gpgdir/gnupg.nls/langid.mo. Here gpgdir is the directory out of
         which the gpg binary has been loaded. If it can't be loaded the
         Registry is tried and as last resort the native Windows locale
         system is used.

-Paul

--
Please use my PGP key when sending me e-mail, if you can.

PGP Key ID: 0x3DB6D884
PGP Fingerprint: EBA7 88B3 6D98 2D4A E045  A9F7 C7C6 6ADF 3DB6 D884