How do I list the GPG groups?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 23:32:13 CET 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:16:33 -0500, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 13, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> I have defined a group in the gpg.conf file.
>> If I encrypt and use this group as recipient then it works just fine.
>>
>> But if I try to list the existing groups I cannot find a command that
>> does that.
>>
>> gpg2 -k
>>
>> this just lists the public keys on my keyring and it does not say
>> anything about any groups.
>>
>> Is there an actual command that can be used to list the groups that
>> have been defined for GPG?
>
>gpg --with-colons --list-config group

Thanks, I knew there would be such a command!

Is there an on-line manual where all commands like this are listed?
I have looked at the documentation here:
http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/
but I could not find the commands I looked for....

And of course the first command (--with-colons) is a bit, shall we say
"strange", at least not self-evident to do what I wanted.

Anyway, now I know how to list the public keys on the ring and also to
list any groups there may be. I can also split the group into its
members by comparing the hex code with the key list.
I also know how to call gpg to encrypt and to decrypt, so now I am on
my way to making my own GUI gpg program!

Thanks again.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden