Issue with GnuPG -> PGP, self signature, new key

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Mar 25 18:06:36 CET 2010

On 3/25/2010 11:41 AM, Tony Evans wrote:
> The Unknown signator bit is the worrying part.  I've checked my key
> with gpg and it believes it to be self-signed correctly.  Did I get
> something wrong, should I have done something different on the export,
> or is it just a compatibility issue with PGP (I know, hard to comment
> without knowing exactly which version).

It is most likely a compatibility issue.  PGP 6.5.8 is well over a
decade old; PGP 5 is even older.  Those versions are not especially
compatible with RFC4880, which is the IETF standard which defines the
OpenPGP protocol.

You may want to consider adding "pgp5" to your gpg.conf file, which you
can find in your .gnupg directory.