Migrating from PGP to GPG question

Smith, Cathy cathy.smith at pnl.gov
Fri Mar 5 07:50:01 CET 2010

Folks

This may related to my earlier question about signing the imported PGP public keys.

When I run gpg --list-sig, the imported public keys show that they are signed.  However, when I run a test to encrypt a file with a key, I get the following message:

[ir at hrapp1 /tmp]$ gpg -e -r 0xEC3A911C gpg-test
gpg: 52F8B69A: There is no assurance this key belongs to the named user

pub  2048R/52F8B69A 2010-02-19 People   <john.doe at people.com>
 Primary key fingerprint: C266 62C7 CA69 E6C7 9897  CAB1 3A4F C1XE E53A 0N1A
      Subkey fingerprint: 8943 8C7D 0626 11D9 4B33  A6720 55X5 B338 52H8 B29A

It is NOT certain that the key belongs to the person named
in the user ID.  If you *really* know what you are doing,
you may answer the next question with yes.

Use this key anyway? (y/N) y

I've tried using the --yes option without success to suppress this interactive prompt doesn't pop up.  This encryption does need to run in a batch job.  What do I need to do in order all interactive prompts are surpressed, and that the assumption is they are answered "yes".

I may not understand signing a key properly.  It did occur to me as I wrote this email and my earlier posting tonight that I may need to generate a new signature key and re-sign the keys in GPG.  I haven't had a chance to try that tonight.

Here is the output of the gpg --list-sig:

[ir at hrapp1 /tmp]$ gpg --list-sig
/home/ir/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
--------------------------------
pub   1024D/F43A8497 2010-03-03 [expires: 2020-02-29]
uid                  PNNL <office at pnl.gov>
sig 3        F43B8497 2010-03-03  PNNL <office at pnl.gov>
sub   2048g/EA223A5A 2010-03-03 [expires: 2020-02-29]
sig          F43C6997 2010-03-03  PNNL <office at pnl.gov>

pub   2048R/EC3A911A 2010-01-19
uid                  People   <john.doe at people.com>
sig      N   EC3A911A 2010-01-19  People   <john.doe at people.com>
sig          733B4F7A 2010-01-19  ir <ir at pnl.gov>
sub   2048R/5278B69A 2010-01-19
sig          EC3B014A 2010-01-19  People   <john.doe at people.com>

Disclaimer: I've changed the id's and names to protect the innocent.  If my key id's are mismatched, it's just the sanitization.

Thanks.

Cathy
---
Cathy L. Smith