encryption bloats file

Scott Lambdin lopaki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 02:19:17 CEST 2010

No Sir.  The files compress well. They compress to the same size as the
packet reported by --list-packets.   Ascii armor did what a previous poster
predicted, growing the file by about 1/3.

here is what should happen:

270Mbyte text file => compressed to 50 Mbyte => X 1.38 yielding 69Mbytes to
go over the network.

But for some reason, McA... er I mean the vender PGP does:

270Mbyte text file => 671MB to choke the network

That should be unheard of.

--Scott

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>wrote:

> On 6/17/2010 2:16 PM, Scott Lambdin wrote:
> > The vender told our trading partner their PGP software bloats the file
> > and that is just the way it is.  I do not understand how the encrypted
> > file (or the file that contains the encrypted file) can be over twice
> > the size of the original, when the senders believe they have used
> > compression.
>
> This is not unheard of.
>
> First, compression only works when the data hasn't already been
> compressed.  Many data formats (.jpgs, .pdfs, etc.) incorporate
> compression, and so cannot be further reduced.
>
> Second, if the sender is using ASCII armoring for their message, that
> will result in an enormous increase in file size.  (On the plus side, it
> means the message is a text message, which is more convenient for some
> purposes.)

There's a box?