Best Practices

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Dec 13 19:13:07 CET 2010

On Dec 13, 2010, at 12:23 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> Avoiding a systemic change to the certificate format seems like it would
> be a Good Thing in that people could participate in a global smooth
> transition, without requiring a hard cut-over or a global interruption
> of existing networks of identity verification.

Why is it that using the method you advocate, there is a graceful changeover between fingerprint formats, but a change in the certificate format requires a "hard cut-over" with "global interruption of existing networks..." ?  That's a straw man.  Who is advocating a hard cut over or any interruption whatsoever?  Personally, I suspect a changeover would take somewhere between 5 and 10 years, just as the v3->v4 changeover did.

It is premature to try and force a particular format into the design before we even have a SHA-3 to talk about.

David