How secure asymmetric encryption to yourself?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Feb 23 19:42:32 CET 2009

> I'm curious what "more usable ways" there are that Sven and others
> can recommend.

I'm fond of writing down my passwords on the back of a business card
and keeping it in my wallet.  For the overwhelming majority of these
passwords, the site's most confidential information of mine they
possess is my credit card number.  But if my wallet gets stolen or
goes missing, I'm going to cancel my credit cards anyway.

Likewise, you can say, "but you might leave your wallet on your desk,
and a co-worker could steal those passwords."  Sure.  They could also
steal my credit card number, driver's license information, voter
registration ID, or all manner of other things more important than my
passwords.

This takes care of >90% of all my logins, meaning I can much more
easily memorize those few high-value, high-secrecy passwords.
Memorizing three unique passwords is doable; memorizing thirty unique
ones isn't.

> I'm also unsure what Sven apparently means by "more usable"?

Unlike your solution, my solution works when I'm on the road and
logging on from a coffeeshop's web kiosk.  I don't need to install
anything.  Open up my wallet, fish out the list, and there it is.

The moral of this story is simple -- don't make things more
complicated than you have to.