Just a thought

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Sat Apr 25 23:25:02 CEST 2009

david wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Late here in Cyprus, in Thunderbird, OpenPGP I can sign and encrypt -
> but say I cc'd to a few people - because if those people are in my key
> ring will it encrypt for each?

If a valid key can be located for each recipient, the message will be
encrypted to all. If a single recipient cannot be matched with a key,
the message will be sent in the clear.

The message will be encrypted once with a symmetric cipher and session
key. Then the session key is encrypted to each recipient's public key
and the encrypted session keys are attached to the message.

For each recipient the first valid key with matching email address is
the one selected. If this is not the preferred key, then Enigmail's
Per-recipient rules may be setup to specify the correct key to use.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or