Erroneous/Varied encryption results

Sven Radde email at sven-radde.de
Mon May 26 13:38:30 CEST 2008

Hi!

YetAnotherGUser schrieb:
> psexec -i \\[machine] -u [domain\user] -p [pwd] -n 4 -high
> "C:\GnuPG\gpg.exe" --recipient "x at x.com"  --yes --output [out_path\file].pgp
> --encrypt [inpath\file]
>
> In all instances the encryption succeeds, but the file contents vary.
> Regards.
This is the intended behaviour, if I understand correctly what you are
doing.
When encrypting, GnuPG generates a random session key with which the
data is encrypted. That key is then encrypted using the recipient's
public key. Therefore, if the same file is encrypted twice, the outputs
will be totally different (apart from some parts of the metadata).
Check Google/Wikipedia for "hybrid cryptosystem".

HTH, Sven