SCM SPR532 & Ubuntu 8.04 & GnuPG 1.4.6 versus GnuPG 2.0.7

Michael Bienia michael at vorlon.ping.de
Tue Jun 24 23:29:20 CEST 2008

On 2008-05-31 19:39:18 +0200, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
Hello,

> I followed all the tutorials and howto documents I could and I managed to
> figure out that I had to tweak the USB driver bundle installation of the SCM
> driver to copy the bundle into the right directory for Ubuntu 8.04. After
> restarting pcscd I could use GnuPG 1.4.6 with the card.

I've a SCM SPR532 too, and it works without problems on Ubuntu 8.04. But
I don't use pscd, just plain gpg/gpg2 with gpg-agent to access it.

> So, after trying different things I managed to initialize my card and
> generate a new key using GnuPG 1.4.6 (current Ubuntu stable package).
>
> However, GnuPG 2.0.7 (Ubuntu 8.04 package) will not read the card like GnuPG
> 1.4.6. When I do a

Have you tried to use the card reader with gpg only (no pcscd)? You need
to get udev to create the device nodes with the correct permission to
use the card reader as a user. I attached my udev rules. Put that file
into /etc/udev/rules.d, create the "scard" group, add your user to it
(don't forget to re-login) and restart udev. Don't forget to stop pcscd.
(Note to self: I should get this bug finally fixed for Ubuntu intrepid).

You should be able to access the card reader through gpg with and
without gpg-agent.

> I would also like to know how the whole setup is integrated with graphical
> clients in Ubuntu 8.04, for example Evolution, Seahorse and such.

I use pinentry-gtk2 to get told when I should enter the pin. As I don't
use Evolution or Seahorse, I don't know how to best integrate with it. I
know that Seahorse has it's own gpg-agent, but I don't know how well
Seahorse works with the original gpg-agent or if the seahorse-agent can
access the card reader.
When you test with gpg-agent make sure that you use the one provided
from gpg2.

Regards,
Michael