How know who is a file encrypted for ?

Dirk Traulsen dirk.traulsen at lypso.de
Thu Feb 28 09:33:30 CET 2008

Am 27 Feb 2008 um 13:23 hat David Shaw geschrieben:

> > > ==============
> > >

> > > i agree, and would welcome this as well,
> >
> > Thanks.
> > So at least three people think it would be a good addition.
>
> Why?
>
> I'm serious - what is the use case here?  How often do people need to
> list all recipients of a file?

I want to list just some use cases, where you only need the recipients
and not the encrypted file content. I'm sure there are many more.

1. control
Your coworker encrypted an important file and you want to control
whether it has the correct set of recipient keys before sending or
archiving it.

2. curiosity
You want to know who else is getting the information in the file
because he is also able to decrypt the file (I know about hidden-
recipient.)

3. finding
You don't remember the exact name of the file. But you know it was
encrypted to XYZ also.

4. sorting
You want to sort the encrypted files in an archive depending on the
recipients.

> By the way:
>   gpg --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /dev/null the-file.gpg

Cool. This is an interesting possibility to nearly get what I asked
for, but not very user friendly. I now have this excellent tip from
you, but I think it would be nice to have a clearly named command which
people can find in the manual.
--list-recipients would be an excellent name, I think.
Ideally additionally in a --with-colons format for easier scripting.

Dirk