Securely delete files...

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Wed Aug 20 22:18:47 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 04:00:19PM -0400, Chris Walters wrote:
> I hate to tell you this, but the F.B.I. Computer Forensics Laboratory has
> successfully recovered data from a drive, where the platters were shot multiple
> times with a shotgun.
>
> The only sure way to make sure no one can recover your data is to put it into a
> blast furnace (this would be hot enough to melt the whole thing into a puddle,
> and would cause substantial mixing between the ferro-magnetic alloy and the
> titanium internal structure.

Have they ever tried a disk that's had the coating polished off with a
wire-wheel chucked into a portable drill?  Dust is usually fairly
random.

Or how about supposedly happened to the Purple cipher machine just
before Pearl was hit:  hammered to bits, dissolved in acid, poured in the
flower beds.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he