[Confusion] distinction between the 2 versions 1.4.6 & 2.0.3

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Thu May 17 07:12:25 CEST 2007

shirish wrote:

Please trim your emails to only quote the relevant bits

> gpg -a-se-u (0 or Oxkeyid) as well as gpg-a-se-u which told me the
> former is the one to be used.
>
> Then finally hit a brainwave and did
>
> gpg -a -se -u OxD8FC66D2 -r OxD8FC66D2 myloveletter.txt
>
>  With space between each flag

The difference between commands and options may be found in the man page.
It would probably help you with the order of command line arguments.

> gpg: skipped "OxD8FC66D2": secret key not available
> gpg: myloveletter.txt: sign+encrypt failed: secret key not available
>
> Then I get this error. Can anybody explain me what's going wrong here?

Those look to be the letter O not the numeral 0. The numeric 0 is the correct form.

>  I have substituted my keyid with the general keyid. Don't know if its safe to
> give out my keyid or not?

Unless one is forcing the use of a specific keyID, keys are usually referred to
by the keyId of the public key.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"