How Do I Export Secring & Pubring Armored Files?

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Mon Jul 23 07:23:42 CEST 2007

>> This looks like a PGP keyfile, not a GnuPG keyfile
>> GnuPG uses the .gpg extension.
>=20
> At this point, I'm completely flummoxed. I have PGP and GPG keyrings=20
> scattered all over this computer, and I have no way of telling which on=
es are
>  actually the GPG keyrings being used and maintained by WinPT, nor unde=
> which identifying extension. There's a window in WinPT that nominally t=
ells
> this, but it's too short to display the path & filename and doesn't exp=
and.

If I recall correctly, WinPT uses the default GnuPG keyring location, sub=
ject to
any redirection by gpg.conf.

The default location is %APPDATA%\GnuPG. %APPDATA% usually expands to
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data. So the default loc=
ation
for the three keyring files, pubring.gpg, secring.gpg, and trustdb.gpg is=

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\GnuPG.

> By searching, the most recently modified keyrings are those I mentioned=
=2E
>=20
> I'm trying to import a keyring into Quicksilver's PGPed nym function, a=
nd on
> top of all this, it will not import GnuPG secure keys, apparently.

PGP wants the secret and public key parts in one file. GPGshell will do t=
his if
the 'Add public key to exported secret keys (PGP-style)' option is select=
ing in
GPGshell's preferences.

Or at the command line:

    gpg --export            0xdecafbad >  0xdecafbad.asc
    gpg --export-secret-key 0xdecafbad >> 0xdecafbad.asc

=46rom your email, you have PGP installed. Let PGP do the work for you - =
don't try
to import the keys. For the time being, PGPkeys will open GnuPG keyring f=
iles.

Open PGPkeys - this will open your default PGP keyring files. Now, from t=
he File
menu, select Open and specify the GnuPG public and secret keyring files; =
eg,

    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\GnuPG\pubring.g=
pg
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\GnuPG\secring.g=
pg

when the window with your GnuPG keys opens, just select and drag&drop the=

key(pair)s you wish to copy to the PGP keyring window.

Key pairs you move will probably need to be set to 'Implicit Trust' in th=
e key's
Properties window.

> I've figured out a kludgy workaround for this, namely blowing off the G=
PG=20
> keys and making a new set in PGP, but most of my problem seems to be fr=
om the
> various PGP/GPG incompatibilities. With luck, I can import the PGP keys=
 into
> GPG.

    gpg --import \path\to\secring.skr
    gpg --import \path\to\pubring.pkr

Key pairs imported should be checked that they are set to 'Ultimate trust=
'. This
is analogous to PGP's Implicit Trust setting.

You may set the key's trust setting with a GUI such as GPGshell or WinPT =
or from
the command line, eg. gpg --edit-key 0xdecafbad trust.

--=20
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org=

You can't spell fiasco without SCO. PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10/0x18BB373A
"what's the key to success?"        / "two words: good decisions."
"what's the key to good decisions?" /  "one word: experience."
"how do i get experience?"          / "two words: bad decisions."

"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"