Problem compiling libgpg-error-1.4 with Mac OS X

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Nov 21 01:10:16 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 03:58:39PM -0700, Joseph Oreste Bruni wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Werner Koch wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:42, simon at ruderich.com said:
> >
> >>failing with compiling libgpg-error-1.4.
> >>./configure works but when I run make the following error is
> >>displayed and make fails:
> >
> >Sorry, I have no experience with MAx OS X and its fat binaries.
> >Without a testing box at hand it is hadr to guess the problem.
> >
> >Given that Mac OS X is a Unix system we will add patches if required.
> >

> >Salam-Shalom,
> >
> >   Werner
>
> Building a universal binary is as easy as specifying "-arch ppc -arch
> i386" to both the compile and link phases. GCC takes care of the
> rest. If the -arch is not specified, it will default to building only
> for the architecture of the host.

That's generally true for most programs, but crypto programs in
particular tend to be different.  Crypto very often contains
endian-specific code for performance reasons, and thus someone
building a fat binary needs to take care they don't end up with big
endian code on an Intel Mac, or little endian code on a PPC Mac.
GnuPG (at least 1.4.x) can be built "fat", and there are special
options in configure to handle the endianness issue (see the README
file).

Still, the original problem reported with libgpg-error-1.4 is not
related to building fat or not.  The package doesn't yet compile at
all.

David