Usenet: Signing date problems - advice needed

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun May 28 17:31:08 CEST 2006

david.topping at gnuemail.com wrote:
> Im running on Windows XP SP2, latest IE and OE. GnuPG setup is WinPT with
> GPG. For security, I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
>
> In about 50%, when I sign and post to usenet, when anyone tries to verify
> the posting, an error 'Bad Signature...signed 01/01/1970' is returned.
> This happens regardless of how I post: with or without proxy (COTSE),
> signing directly via the 'window', or by copying and signing the clipboard
> content. The remainder of the time, the correct signing date is passed
> through to usenet.
>
> This issue does not occur with anything else.
>
> Any ideas about how I can rectify this, please? I have already tried
> unistalling, download and reinstalling the lastest softwar.e

Well, on that post I got:

gpg: Signature made 05/27/06 23:37:32
gpg:                using DSA key 0xC1550505
gpg: BAD signature from "David Topping <snipped>"

First, try upgrading to 1.4.3 - 1.4.2.1 and earlier have a bug wrt.
non-detached signatures verifying signatures as "good" where non-signed
data has been injected; more at <http://www.gnupg.org/>.

I couldn't find a user-agent string in your headers, but assuming you're
using Outlook Express: have you looked at GPGOL
<http://wald.intevation.org/projects/gpgoe>?

It's possible that this is a word-wrapping issue, but since I neither
use Outlook Express or Usenet, I can't really comment any further.

HTH,
--
                Alphax
        Death to all fanatics!