PKCS#11 support for gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Sep 3 08:42:20 CEST 2005

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 20:08:37 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev said:

>>> But it does not say that GPLed software cannot use PKCS#11 interface
>>> in order to access none GPLed tokens!
>> Read the GPL again and you will see that this is not possible.

> I have... and did not find the place.
> Can you please refer me to the exact item where you find the
> restriction?

It is a matter of wether something is derivative work or not.  When
using a library and thus using combining GPL and non-GPL code in the
same process, this is in almost all cases a derivative work.

> Well... so what is the problem of using PKCS#11 why can you use all
> the other PKCS#* and cannot use PKCS#11?

You are comparing apples to baskets.  The taste of the apples does not
necessary induce the quality of the baskets used while reaping them.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner