Changing Home Directory of GPG - Was

Servie Platon servie_tech at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 12:53:29 CET 2005

Hi Mr. Clizbe,

--- John Clizbe <JPClizbe at comcast.net> wrote:

Thank you very much for the help.

> The installer didn't change the registry key for
> GnuPG's HomeDir.

> Here's the upgrade step-by-step: (I posted this
> earlier in the week on
> PGP-Basics). This assumes you had everything in
> C:\GnuPG.
>
> 0) Keep C:\GnuPG as your backup.
>
> 1) Download and run installer.
>
>  Did this step......

ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/GnuPG/binary/gnupg-w32cli-1.4.1.exe
> (1406k)

ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/GnuPG/binary/gnupg-w32cli-1.4.1.exe.sig

> 2) Copy keyrings and option preferences. Open a CMD
> window
>
> 	cd C:\GnuPG
> 	copy *.gpg "%APPDATA%\GnuPG" (Up to this step)
> 	copy gpg.conf "%APPDATA%\GnuPG" (Error here, it
appears that gpg.conf is not present)
> 	exit
>
> 4) Fix PATH if necessary. Right-click My Computer;
> select Properties. (Did this step)
> (same as Control Panel ->System). Win2k/XP: Advanced
> tab -> Environment
> Variables. Locate Path among the environment
> variables and click 'Edit'.
> If GnuPG was in the path before, change the location
> to the new location
> (default is C:\Program Files\Gnu\GnuPG). If not
> present, add it to the
> beginning of the string. 'Program Files' may usually
> be abbreviated
> 'Progra~1' if you're tight on room. Click OK three
> times to close the
> System Properties dialog.
>
> 5) Update Registry values: (Already present, as I
did this step before).
> [...]
> then Software,
>    Gnu and finally GnuPG. In the right-hand panel,
> double click "HomeDir"
>    and change its value to reflect the new Home
> directory:
> 	"C:\Documents and Settings\servie\Application
> Data\GnuPG"
>    This is the only change required for GnuPG. If
> you are also using
>    or have used GPGrelay, GPGshell, or WinPT, you
> may have two additional
>    values to change:
>      gpgProgram = "C:\Program
> Files\Gnu\GnuPG\gpg.exe"
> 	   or	  "C:\PROGRA~1\Gnu\GnuPG\gpg.exe"
>
>      OptFile =
> 	"C:\Documents and Settings\servie\Application
> Data\GnuPG\gpg.conf"
>
>    You don't include the quotes (") when entering
> the values in the
>    text boxes. Ignore any other values under this
> key. Exit RegEdit.
>    go to Step 6.
>
> b) Using a Registry patch file. We cover this in
> great detail on the
> Enigmail GnuPG for Windows page
> (http://enigmail.mozdev.org/gpgconf.html).
> Briefly you need to use notepad to construct a file
> containing your new
> values and save it with a .REG extension. Close
> Notepad and double-click
> the new .REG file in Explorer - answer Yes/OK to
> include the file into the
> Registry.  Your file should look like (just the
> stuff between the "++++"
> lines):
> ++++
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU]
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\GNUPG]
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\GNUPG]
> "HomeDir"="C:\\Documents and
> Settings\\user\\Application Data\\GnuPG"
> "gpgProgram"="C:\\Program
> Files\\Gnu\\GnuPG\\gpg.exe"
> "OptFile"="C:\\Documents and
> Settings\\user\\Application
> Data\\GnuPG\\gpg.conf"
>
> ++++
> Change 'user' in the abouve to your user name
> (servie). The OptFile line
> should be all on one line - the email probably
> wrapped.
>
> 6) Test installation. Open a new CMD window, 'gpg
> --version' should show
> something similar to:
>
> C:\WINNT>gpg --version
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.1
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to
> redistribute it
> under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for
> details.
>
> Home: C:/Documents and Settings/jpclizbe/Application
> Data/GnuPG
> Supported algorithms:
> Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
> Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192,
> AES256, TWOFISH
> Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2
>
> C:\WINNT>
>
> The version should be 1.4.1 and Home should be like

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\servie>gpg --version
gpg: error loading `iconv.dll': The specified module
could not be found.

gpg: please see
http://www.gnupg.org/download/iconv.html for more
information
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.1
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to
redistribute it
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for
details.

Home: C:/Documents and Settings/servie/Application
Data/GnuPG (Seems fine here except for the iconv.dll
problem which I deleted before). Should I reconstruct
again the iconv.dll file and restore all the entries
as stated in the gpg.conf file?
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256,
TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

C:\Documents and Settings\servie>
> That's all there is to it.
>
> - From your post it sounds like the only steps
> remaining would e to copy the
> keyring *.gpg and options (gpg.conf) files from
> C:\GnuPG and update the
> Registry values.

Again, thank you very much.
> - --
> John P. Clizbe                   Inet:
> JPClizbe(a)comcast DOT nyet
> Golden Bear Networks             PGP/GPG KeyID:
> 0x608D2A10
> "Be who you are and say what you feel because those
> who mind don't matter
> and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss, "Oh
> the Places You'll Go"
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32)
> Comment: When cryptography is outlawed,
> b25seSBvdXRsYXdzIHdpbGwgdXNlIG
> Comment: Be part of the £33t ECHELON -- Use Strong
> Encryption.

Sincerely,
Servie